Can't happen to you, right?
Strokes can happen to anyone, any age. People in general are so under the wrong impression about strokes. For example, all the following are completely wrong:
- Strokes always cause headaches. That's completely bogus - strokes might or might not have accompanying headaches.
- Stroke patients are all elderly. Wrong! People in their 50s, 40s, 30s and younger can have strokes. Mine came at age 39.
- Strokes only happen to people who don't take care of themselves. Again, wrong! It can happen to a distance runner or, in one case, an NFL linebacker!
In article with some vital facts and stats about strokes include a set of numbers form a study performed six months after a stroke in people who were older than 65:
- 30% needed assistance to walk
- 26% needed help with activities such as cooking, feeding, and paying their bills
- 19% had trouble speaking, or understanding others when they speak
- 35% had feelings of depression
- 50% had some degree of paralysis on one side of the body
- 26% became nursing home residents
So please, share the facts. The life you save might be your own!