Friday, May 08, 2009

A note in passing...

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
It happened 11 years ago today. At least, that's when it happened to me.

On Friday, May 8, 1998, I found myself hit by a stroke working with a colleague who was smart enough to get me some help. The rest, as you might say, is history.

I was a devoted distance runner at the time and remain so. I will likely run 10 miles without stopping tomorrow (Saturday). Why do people run? Now, for me, it's an act of worship, thanking God that he gave me two strong legs - one of them twice.

This blog is my feeble attempt to provide help for fellow stroke survivors and those who care for them - in any capacity. I've prayed for those who have contacted me or I've heard about concerning their own circumstances or struggles. Anyone reading this can e-mail me anytime - jeff.porter@gmail.com - and you'll be in my prayers, too.

Do I completely understand what happened those 11 years ago? No. But as Paul wrote to the Philippians, God's peace surpasses understanding - leaving me under God's protection. It's there for you, too.

No comments: