Monday, February 08, 2010

Spotting signs: Speech

Ever find yourself speechless?

If you've had a stroke, the answer might be yes. It certainly was my case almost a dozen years ago. I couldn't utter a word or sound.

In other cases, speech might be slurred; words might be spoken in the wrong order; speech might be jumbled or make no sense; or the incorrect words might be used. In each case, it's a warning sign for a stroke.

I eventually came out of it - after I received a dose of tPA (tissue plasminogen activator, words began to form. Of course, they made no sense much of the time but slowly, after weeks of speech therapy, speech came back, although even after all these years, I still feel that my speech stumbles too often.

But I digress. What we're talking about here are the important seconds and minutes immediately after a stroke occurs. And as this blog has stressed before, one symptom is enough to immediately get someone to a hospital, ideally a stroke center.

Do it, and you will increase your chances of hearing his or her voice again. Or perhaps, even your own.

(Photo from the blog GovGab)

No comments: