Thursday, January 01, 2015

Happy New Year, Godzilla!


Resolution for myself: Don't be too judgmental.

So, with that in mind, a confession: Last week, I recorded several old Godzilla movies, stretching from 1954 into 1992. I've enjoyed most of them, including this dancing Godzilla scene from "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero," which goes by other names as well, including "Invasion of Astro-Monster."

I must admit, most of these movies are pretty bad. Dancing monsters. Monsters imitating soccer with boulders. Young monster befriending a child (in all fairness, it's in the child's dream). Unlikely flying saucers. Aliens wearing slightly modified cones that you see for pets after surgery.

Now, what's that got to do with being too judgmental?

Well, despite my previous criticism, Godzilla movies have made money for decades, with no lasting damage to society. I watch them. Millions others watch them, too.

Take that same scenario to other areas of life. I have my own ideas about how to build a relationship with God, with other people, with a church family. I see lots of people who differ on these and many, many other issues. But as long as we're finding our own ways to the same destination, who am I to judge?

So, here's to a Happy New Year to all!



No comments: