Thursday, December 31, 2015

'Therefore we will not fear ...'

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
I recently became aware of a friend who is in a real struggle right now - betrayed and abused.

Now think - anyone in your life who currently faces trouble or fear? Yourself?

I know many stroke survivors face trouble on a daily basis. I've been there - feeling vulnerable and weak. Some feel it physically. Others struggle with speech problems, memory, vision and more.

Vulnerable? God is your refuge, a safe place in a storm. Weak (physically, mentally or, most important, spiritually)? God is your strength.

Reach out to God. He is with you, through those times of trouble. If you struggle how, reach out to friends of faith until you find ways to relate to God.


2 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Jeff and a Happy New Year to you!

I liked your post a lot and might borrow from it!

I work every second Sunday at the personal care home and I was asked to have one of my programs be a Hymn Sing with the residents on one of the floors. I use a CD that we can sing along with but realized quickly that I needed to add more. I try and pick kind of a theme and I started adding quotes, poems, and pictures or objects they can hold.

As you know from your hospice work, it is a challenging group with very different abilities. This group is also from many different faith backgrounds but I have no doubt about the value of my little hymn sing program. What they have in common is they are all facing serious challenges or troubles and unable to live independently. I try really hard to make the programs relevant to the residents and to be uplifting.

Jeff Porter said...

Thanks, Linda! I'd be flattered if you share or borrow any of my blog content!

Just to be up front, I am not a hospice worker. I guided my mother's hospice care a few years ago, but I'm not a health professional of any kind.