Monday, August 10, 2009

'Do what it says'

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
It's a busy world out there - so easy to get wrapped up on TV, telephones, computers, e-mail, text, etc. Much of the time, it seems, all we do is listen (or read, as in Facebook or Twitter).

I love to listen to the word. Often, in my running sessions, I plug in Bible recordings and just listen. It helps the miles disappear. I've gleaned so much understanding from just running along, with only Scripture with me.

So there's a time to listen and read, of course. But as James wrote, don't fool yourself - listening isn't all there is to it. You also must "do."

That's also the hard part. We can become so passive as we read or listen. The challenge to respond - at whatever level our abilities allow - is, to steal a Nike phrase, "just do it."



(Image by glorifing on Photobucket)

No comments: