Thursday, January 17, 2013

The youngest stroke victims

I considered myself as relatively young when my stroke occurred. I was 39. But click on this recent article and learn about even younger stroke victims:
Sacha, Derek, and Andrew had all had strokes. Sacha was 11; Derek was 17; Andrew was 14.
Their parents were incredulous. Like most people, they were shocked to learn that children - their children - could be struck by a condition associated with the elderly.
The numbers are growing, according to a recent study of hospital records from 1995 to 2008 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It revealed a "concerning" 30 percent rise in the incidence of ischemic stroke, those caused by blood clots to the brain, in boys and girls between 5 and 14.
My intention of mentioning this story isn't to needlessly frighten people, but to say that it's important for everyone to know the stroke signs.

No comments: