Thursday, April 04, 2013

Study: Whole world uses too much salt

I admit it: I like salt. But that being said, I try not to consume too much of it, especially after reading that a recent study finds the whole world uses too much salt:
Salt intake worldwide is at least twice what it should be, with a big impact on global health, researchers found.
Daily sodium intake averaged 3,950 mg in 2010, according to an analysis covering nearly all of the world's population by Dariush Mozaffarian, MD, MPH, of Harvard School of Public Health, and colleagues.
The recommended daily intake is 2,000 mg by World Health Organization standards and 1,500 mg by American Heart Association guidelines.

1 comment:

J.L. Murphey said...

I take in about 1500mg daily...all from natural sources. When I do add salt it is sea salt. When I started having blood pressure problem (too low), the doctor recommended increasing my intake of salt. Yuck! Everything I ate was too salty!