Tuesday, September 03, 2013

'Straining toward what is ahead'

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
"Forgetting what is behind..."

I must admit, sometimes I look backward. Decisions made. Events that I had no control over. Tragedies and disappointments. Thrills and accomplishments.

And yet, those backward glances change nothing that is ahead. Yes, remembering lessons are important. But learning lessons and reliving the past are not the same thing.

Paul, in his letter to the Philippians, got it right: Strain toward what is ahead, and "press on toward the goal... ."



1 comment:

Linda said...

Exactly what has been on my mind lately. I am fussing about making some changes in what I am doing and finding it scary.
I am very glad I read your blog today. Thank you