Thursday, May 01, 2014

Stroke survivors need compassion

Clearly, many people are unfamiliar with aphasia, which, at the extreme, might leave a stroke patient unable to speak. I lost the ability to speak for a while during and after my stroke. I regained that ability, but not everyone does.

So I really feel for this stroke survivor who was denied flight out of LAX:
Sherry Wright, of Canyon Country, is still upset about the way she and her disabled sister, Heidi Wright, were treated by a Transportation Security Administration official at LAX.
Heidi, 58, suffered a stroke 10 years ago. She is wheelchair-bound and unable to speak.
"He just wanted me to make my sister talk, and I couldn't believe it. I was like, 'Wow, we're going to make a miracle right now,'" said Wright."
A miracle. Instead of a government employee conducting a miracle, a little compassion and kindness would have worked.

No comments: