Thursday, July 10, 2014

'My rock, my fortress and my deliverer'

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Re-reading the other Psalm verses featured here, you can see several references of taking refuge in God.

Do you have a refuge - I mean by that, a physical place you go, retreat to - when trouble comes your way? I find it a couple of ways - I have a workshop in the basement of my house, where I do very amateur woodworking, and three mornings a week, I run outdoors when I can.

Can I live in those refuges indefinitely? No. Sooner or later, I need to leave my workshop or my running route and join the rest of the world.

So, in Psalm, is the writer suggesting that we simply take refuge and never leave? I don't think so. God provides refuge when life's storms hit. But when those storms subside, God sends us to join the rest of the world. A world where you can make a difference in the lives of others.

So when you need that refuge - regardless of the physical place you might go - take your troubles to God. Not to keep it to yourself, though, but rest and strengthen, then share that hope of refuge with others.


   

No comments: