Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Thirsty? Find your ultimate electrolyte

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
I've been increasing my miles lately in my running schedule, and have been extremely thirsty from time to time. If you run long distances - say, 90 minutes or more - and drink only water, there's a chance you'll actually harm yourself, with something called hyponatremia.
That's why runners drink Gatorade or similar products. It's about electrolytes, the substances such as sodium and potassium that help your body retain fluids and may prevent muscle cramps. If you run, you sweat. Sweat contains electrolytes, and if you sweat too much without replacing electrolytes, you suffer. In severe cases, people have died.
Struggling with the aftermath of a stroke can lead to a thirsty soul. So consider this: Water is good. But your faith can lead you to your ultimate electrolyte.

No comments: