Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Running for stroke awareness

My back is giving me fits, so it's unlikely I'll ever run the Boston Marathon. But these admirable folks ran as part of a stroke awareness team:

Running down a dream: Stories from the Boston Marathon:
Page Minihan and William Maley are just two of 26,895 runners participating in the 115th Boston Marathon on Monday. Yet their stories speak volumes.

Minihan, a 27-year-old Medford resident and Holliston High graduate, ran the race for Tedy’s Team, which was created by retired New England Patriots legend Tedy Bruschi. The former linebacker had a stroke in 2005, just 10 days after winning his third Super Bowl. Bruschi recovered fully and played another three seasons while forming Tedy's Team, a partnership with the American Stroke Association that works to raise stroke awareness.

“I was running for my father (Joe Minihan), who at the age of 29, suffered a couple major strokes” said Minihan, who finished the Marathon in four hours, six minutes, eight seconds. “I was four (at the time). The strokes left him completely paralyzed on the right side, but he has still led a phenomenal and positive life.

No comments: