Thursday, January 03, 2013

Story about one aphasia patient

One of the more interesting aphasia-related stories of late came across the pond. After a stroke, an Englishman wakes up speaking Welsh:
Alun Morgan was taken ill while he was at his home in Bath. A few days later, he was speaking the language he had not spoken since childhood.
"This was strange because I'd not lived in Wales since I was evacuated there during the war," he said.
Mr. Morgan was diagnosed with aphasia, a condition which affects a person's ability to communicate.
It can affect stroke survivors in different ways, from speaking and reading to writing and understanding.
There is a lot of misunderstanding about aphasia, which hit me during my stroke in 1998. I couldn't speak for  a time, couldn't read or write much for several days. Click here for more about aphasia, a fairly common occurrence for stroke patients.

No comments: